Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The final stretch is in sight!

I commented in my last blog post that it had been nearly a year since my previous post, and that I hoped I would be more frequent with my updates as I encountered new challenges during my pediatrics and psychiatry rotations. However, it has been nearly a year since that post and I have not been keeping up-to-date with comments on the problems I experienced in pediatrics and psychaitry. The main reason for that is that this year has been rather uneventful. Finally, a year without too many problems!

I did encounter one - my university wanted to declare to an external body that I have Asperger syndrome, and I was very vehemently against this. I was very vocal about this, and eventually convinced them not to breach my confidentiality on this instance, but I have learned that it has already been breached a few times internally within the faculty. However, I am not at all surprised by this and I would rather keep my head down and focus on the end goal. Especially when it is so close - I have passed all of my exams for this year, which means one more year left!

I am going abroad for my medical elective soon, and I might pen a blog post on any problems I encounter there - new country, new culture - I don't really know what to expect.  I probably won't be posting as often as I once did when I return, unless I find myself in a situation where I feel a lot can be learned, but I will still be happy to answer any questions readers might have about having Asperger's and being a medical student.  There have been a few things I have learned during this past year too that I will write about soon, and I'm happy to take requests, but for now I must get ready for my trip.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    It's me Ken (a subscriber to your blog).

    I'm glad that you're having less issues this year.

    Sorry to hear that your Uni is wanting to declare you AS to an external body. I've had similar issues when I was a student, but didn't get penalized. Sometimes, it's almost as if they only define you by your condition and stereotype you into a "box". It's situations like these that make me reluctant to disclose my AS Dx for fear of being stereotyped.

    Good luck with your overseas medical elective. A possible advantage is that people are more likely to overlook your AS (if they've even heard of it) and attribute it to cultural differences.

    Take care,

    Ken

    ReplyDelete